Pickleball in Portland
Portland Picklers, an informal local group, has begun the process of promoting pickleball and bringing pickleball courts to Portland. With permission from the Schrauben family, we have teamed with Portland Public Schools to reconfigure four junior tennis courts at PHS to accommodate pickleball play as well as junior tennis.
A relatively small investment of time and funds will give senior players a chance to play locally and encourage multi-generational play. Portland courts will also provide more youth exposure to a newer racket sport and will allow physical education teachers to expand their activities.
We are planning to raise $25000, less than the price of one new court. Specifically, we plan to:
1. Expand the existing court pad with a maximum 4’ of concrete
2. Expand the fencing 4’ along two fence lines
3. Resurface the junior courts
4. Move the pole holes to accommodate the nets
5. Paint lines for both junior tennis and pickleball on the four junior courts
6. (Maintenance will continue to be provided by the school district.)
We have begun the process of securing funds by researching and applying for available grants, looking into crowd funding possibilities, and seeking individual donations. For more info or to become involved, please contact: email@example.com. Attn: Kathy Peters or Deb Clark
Tax deductible donations should be made out to Portland Public Schools, with the note: for Pickleball. Mail to:
PO Box 303
Portland, MI 48875