American Legion Post 129 Scholarship Program
American Legion Post 129 recently awarded $1,000.00 scholarships to graduating seniors Grace Platte and Caroline Stevens Svanda.
Post member Roy Schrauben said, “We began this program in 2017 and initially awarded two $500.00 ones, but this school year 2017-2018 it was raised to $1,000.00 each.”
Schrauben said, “We had 5 applicants this year and 10 last year, involving both schools in town.”
The scholarship is named the “David A. Huhn Memorial Scholarship” in honor of a United States Marine and Portland native who lost his life serving his country.
According to application materials:
- The applicant must be graduating from the high school he/she is now attending at the conclusion of the spring semester in the year in which the scholarship is considered and awarded.
- The applicant must be enrolled or in the process of being enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited institution of higher education, including a public or private university, college or technical school.
- The selection of scholarship recipients will be made based on:
1. Satisfactory academic achievement.
2. Extracurricular activities.
3. Demonstrated financial need.
4. Completion of all information requested in the application.
- All awarded scholarship stipends will be sent to the educational institution of the recipient’s attendance to be held for use in his/her name for tuition and fees, books, room and board only.
- Scholarships are available only to Portland St. Patrick High School and Portland High School students who are a son, daughter, grandchild or great-grandchild, including adopted and stepchildren, of honorably discharged veterans or POWs, MIAs, KIAs of the armed services of the United States of America. Selection shall be based on an evaluation of academic achievement, extracurricular activities, demonstrated financial need, and goals and objectives.
Pictured are post commander and service officer as they attended this year’s awards program at Portland High to present the winners their certificates.