Why settle for mediocre and mildly decent—or more of the same? Go unique for your Valentine this year. Check out six ways you can support the local businesses who support our community and the organizations and causes you care about - When we say local, the closer to home the better, but feel free to check out the independent small businesses in our surrounding communities too.
1) Choose a local restaurant over a chain. Go for that independent who offers original flavors and recipes. Many of our familiar local restaurants prepare special, delectable menu items especially for Valentines Day.
2) Find a local activity to do together to add something special to this or any date night. Bowling? Hiking? Art Painting ? Candle Making? Comedy? All at local establishments…
3) Go local for flowers.
4) Local breweries and pubs make great spots for pre-dinner and after-dinner drinks.
5) Get a gift from a local business—it will be thoughtful, special and unique.
6) Choose a local service for that day or a gift certificate—a relaxing massage, a salon package, a B&B getaway… Car washes & oil changes may not sound exciting, but for that guy who always does it themselves, it may be greatly appreciated!
This piece was originally published in the Downtown Portland February 2020 On The Street newsletter.