State Rep. Julie Calley announced today she is sponsoring a summer reading contest for children first through fifth grade in Barry and Ionia counties. Rep. Calley, of Portland, has teamed up with several libraries in the area for the contest.
Children are encouraged to read as many books as they can through August. The titles of completed books and number of pages read can be recorded on a bookmark provided to the libraries by Rep. Calley or downloaded and printed from her website. Readers must submit the bookmarks in the contest box at the listed local libraries or mail them to Rep. Calley’s office by Sept. 1 to be eligible to win. The winners, along with their family members, will be welcomed as guests of Rep. Calley at the state Capitol to be a Legislator for the Day.
“The Legislator for a Day program received really positive reviews from participants last year,” Rep. Calley said. “The students and their families enjoyed the experience, and it was an honor to reward their outstanding efforts.”
Libraries taking part in the contest include:
· Clarksville Area Library, Clarksville
· Delton District Library, Delton
· Freeport District Library, Freeport
· GW Spindler Memorial Library, Woodland
· Portland District Library, Portland
· Saranac Public Library, Saranac
· Thornapple Kellogg Community Library, Middleville